Special Swing support

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
sereda

Special Swing support

Post by sereda »

Hello,

Got an idea for CPU profiling - make a special view for stats of AWT event queue dispatching.

For example, currently in the call tree I see that show() method of a modal dialog takes a hell lot of time - indeed, there's an event queue cycle inside. That's the simplest thing.

There could be many more tweaks specially for swing, I am sure. :)

Regards,
Igor
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

Hi Igor,

what do you want to see in the special AWT view? Unfortunately I do not understand your idea. Sory :oops:

Regards,
--vladimir
sereda

Post by sereda »

Hi,

It was not a concrete feature request, just a direction for ideas. Here's more rant about it:

"Call tree" view is suitable for inspecting imperative step-by-step type of program. GUI toolkit architecture is more of event-driven thing, and while it is still possible to display the call tree, it is less effective and requires knowledge of awt/swing guts.

What I was suggesting is to make it easier for people to profile GUI apps by minimizing the amount of unneeded and obscure information - such as the time spent for event processing loop. What I want to know actually is, for example, that specific component takes too much time to paint.

As an idea: capture the awt component tree and collect cpu/mem stats for each component or type of components. Then, when displaying the snapshot, you can present the application to the developer in the same way as it sees it from the code - like Window - JPanel - JButton - actionListener.

Regards,
Igor