Link to automatically saved profile missing starting char

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
[email protected]

Link to automatically saved profile missing starting char

Post by [email protected] »

As you can see - it misses the start of each part of the filename:

[YourKit Java Profiler 4.5 EAP build 634] CPU snapshot is saved to /ome/farquhar/cceptanceTestHarness-2005-08-08-shutdown.cpu

Missing the 'h' for /home/ etc.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

What terminal and shell are you using? It seems that some of that programs interprets '/'+char sequence incorrectly. Please try to redirect output to file and just open it in text editor.
[email protected]

This is using Intellij IDEA - so not sure that this would be a problem?
Vladimir Kondratyev

Did you try to redirect output to file? I suppose you'll see something different than in IDEA console :wink:
[email protected]

Vladimir,

Why should I do that? I expect the product to work as advertised (in the IDEA browser).

For reference, I'm using IDEA 5.0.

This isn't of big importance to me - I just thought that I'd do my bit and raise bugs that I find in the EAP. Whether you want to fix them or not is up to you :)
Vladimir Kondratyev

Scott, we didn't hear about similar problems before; and we cannot reproduce it here. That's why I'm asking you to redirect output into file.

I know that Java code prints into "err" stream full path of the _existing_ file. So I need to know where the problem is. I suppose that IDEA incorrectly reads chars from "out" and "err" streams. Most probable IDEA tries to find escape sequences.
rblasch

Post by rblasch »

No sure about this, but I think this may be a bug in IDEA. I remember dimly that I have seen this before. It was some IntelliJ IDEA 5.0 EAP build on Windows XP.
Can't remember the details, but for some reason a fully qualified class name in '/' notation was shown in the output window, with the problem you described. Something like "org/pache/ml/..." was shown, instead of "org/apache/xml/...".
Vladimir Kondratyev

I suppose that it's very easy to check (unfortunately I don't have IDEA 5.0 installed at the moment): write simple "hello world" program which prints "/home/aa/bbb/ccc" message.
rblasch

Post by rblasch »

Now, that's the problem. I can't reproduce it on IntelliJ IDEA 5.0 (Build 3436, the release) with Sun JRE 5 Update 4 on Windows XP x86-32.
I tried several things (System.out.println, exceptions), but all worked. I also checked the IDEA bugtracker, with no success; but this may be my own fault, as I have little idea what to search for exactly.

The good news is that the paths yjp outputs are good on my box; they are Windows XP style, with backslashes, thus of little use for Scott's problem.

If only I could remember exactly where this happend to me...

Ron
rblasch

Post by rblasch »

Seems like I finally managed to reproduce the problem. Well, this was by accident, actually.

Say, you've got
/some/slashy/message

If you print this to stdout, not via System.out but "directly", like in some native library, you'd see in IntelliJ IDEA:
/ome/lashy/essage
Hope that clears things up.

Ron
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Yes I managed to get the same thing as you Ron. Its definitely an IDEA 5.0 issue rather than one with YourKit. Have you raised it on JIRA yet? If not then I will do so on our behalf.
rblasch

Post by rblasch »

I haven't submitted a bug report to Jetbrains yet. I'd be great if you could do so.

Thanks,
Ron
Vladimir Kondratyev

I'll submit request.
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Ok cool, thanks Vladimir I wont bother then.