EAP 626: Very slow tracing?

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
drabe

EAP 626: Very slow tracing?

Post by drabe »

I'm using EAP 626 on Windows w/ JDK 1.5.0_04 to profile an app running under Tomcat 5.0.28. Running a CPU sampling profile worked, but I'm really more interested in CPU time than clock time (which I assume sampling was giving me).

I tried to start a tracing run, but it said it wasn't available. I then reconfigured my JAVA_HOME to point to Java 1.5 so that Tomcat is presumably running w/ JDK 1.5. In this case, I was able to start a run with tracing... but it's either INCREDIBLY slow, or it's in an infinite loop somewhere. I'm seeing roughly 50% CPU utilization on both CPUs in this dual-CPU machine. I decided to capture snapshot before my test finished running, and it was in fact collecting data... just VERY slowly.

I last used YourKit 3.0 to profile, and I don't remember it causing this kind of slow-down, even when tracing.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

We're investigating the issue. Probably it is related to dual CPUs. It would be nice if you could you provide an isolated example that demonstrates the problem.

Regarding tracing in older versions of the profiler. All measurements that we have made here tell that the old approach is in fact much slower that the currect one.

And I'd suggest to use sampling. It _does_ give CPU time. What makes you think it is not so?