Differe Memory Footprint and "Default Pkg" Retaine

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
ravi

Differe Memory Footprint and "Default Pkg" Retaine

Post by ravi »

Hi,

I have a basic question - I am kind of new to this tool. Ours is a standalone Java app running on a windows 2k desktop. When I take a snapshot using YourKit latest tool, the total Retained Size under "Default Package" on All Objects view is about 48 MB. But this app takes 222 MB when I lookup in Task Manager Process Memory size on windows 2000 professional.

Is it possible to have some correlation between what task manager and YourKit tool show ?

Thanks
Greg

Windows Task Manager Mem Usage & YourKit Heap memory

Post by Greg »

I am using YourKit Profiler 4.5 EAP build 610, on a Windows XP machine. The Windows Task Manager Processes Tab contains an entry for the Java Application I am profiling has a "Mem Usage" value of 75,000K. But the "Telemetry" tab of the YourKit GUI indicates that the "Heap memory" for this same process is 5.2MB (Used memory) and 8.4 (Total memory). The "Non heap memory" values are 8.5MB (Used memory) and 10.9 (Total memory) respectively. I don't understand why the Windows Task Manager and YourKit are displaying significantly different values.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

YourKit Java Profiler uses JVM API to get heap and non-heap memory usage. If these values do not reflect reality, perhaps, it's better to ask Sun's guys? :)

I can assume that JVM itself uses some memory for internal purposes and this amount of memory is not reported via API. For example, it could be HotSpot's internal data, loaded and precompiled classes, etc

Regards,
Vladimir Kondratyev
rblasch

Post by rblasch »

These memory numbers may look simple, but one has to know quite a number of things, to make any sense of them.

Here's a pointer to get you started. http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/l ... -memusage/

Enjoy your memory while it lasts,
Ron