[EAP 606] Help in firefox

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
pepijnve

[EAP 606] Help in firefox

Post by pepijnve »

When I select Help->YourKit Java Profiler Help I get an alert in firefox saying "d is not a registered protocol". After a bit of testing I think the problem is that you are sending the file path to the browser instead of a url.
If for instance I type "d:/somefile.html" into the url box of firefox, I get the protocol error dialog. If I type the real url for this ("file:///d:/somefile.html") everything works fine. The file path thing works fine in IE, but not in firefox (and probably mozilla, maybe others).
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

1) What is FF version?
2) What is the full path to profiler installation directory? Does the path contain some natinal (localized) characters?
pepijnve

Post by pepijnve »

- Firefox 1.0.4
- D:\java\YourKit Java Profiler 4.5 EAP build 606
Vladimir Kondratyev

Works fine in our environment. What is output of "ver" command?
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Works fine here.
What is your Windows version?
pepijnve

Post by pepijnve »

NT 4 SP6a
pepijnve

Post by pepijnve »

To verify my hunch I set IE back as my default browser. This works fine, but the address bar is showing "D:\java\YourKit Java Profiler 4.5 EAP build 606\docs\help\index.html" as url.
I still think it might be safer to use a file:// url instead of the file path (possibly using File#toURI() ? )
pepijnve

Post by pepijnve »

I just exported a tree to HTML. When I press the button to open the results in a browser, I get the same error in Firefox.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Please try set FF as a default browser and use the following command from console:

Code: Select all

rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler file:///D:/java/YourKit Java Profiler 4.5 EAP build 606/docs/help/index.html
I suppose that you''ll get an error
pepijnve

Post by pepijnve »

Indeed. I get the exact same error.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Could you please try whether syntax with // instead of /// works for you:

rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler file://D:/java/YourKit Java Profiler 4.5 EAP build 606/docs/help/index.html 
Vladimir Kondratyev

Or does

rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler D:/java/YourKit Java Profiler 4.5 EAP build 606/docs/help/index.html
work?
pepijnve

Post by pepijnve »

Both give that same error.
In the mean time I found the following comment at http://ostermiller.org/utils/Browser.html:
Windows - Opens the url in the system browser by calling a url.dll that can open the url using FileProtocolHandler. This dll fails to open file urls with spaces. In that case, a url shortcut is written to the hard drive, and the shortcut is then opened.
Unfortunately the code is GPL so it's probably of no use for you guys.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Thank you for the link.

It is said something is wrong with spaces in path, but are no problems with spaces in file path for me. Also you say you have no problems running IE. So I suppose there's something incorrect in NT behaviour (I use WinXP).

Could you please try to install the profiler into directory without spaces, to see if it makes any difference.
pepijnve

Post by pepijnve »

No luck with a directory without spaces...