classes on the command line

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
joebob2442

classes on the command line

Post by joebob2442 »

I'm about to start an evaluation and was wondering what I should include for the FooClass portion of the command line. Should this be the main Java class for my application or should it be a list of classes I want to track. I'm hoping to see all of the application classes in the output so I can get a feel for what all the tool is trapping. Just wanted to see what should be here.

Can't use the GUI as I'm running/evaulating Java 1.3.

Joe-Bob
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

Profiler UI requires JDK 1.4.2 or higher. You can install JDK 1.4.2 (in addition to installed 1.3.1) to run profiler UI and analyze captured snapshots.
joebob2442

Post by joebob2442 »

Unfortunately, I am in a test environment that I don't have reasonable control over (getting them to let me use this took forever). Whenever I bring up installing a newer version of Java, I get a reply that goes along the lines that they aren't ready to upgarde Java on this test server. Forget the fact that they can work independant of one another... :roll: .

That aside, I'm fine having to play around in command line mode b/c sometime in the near future, I'll have my own box with full control. Until then, I wanted to evaluate the level of info & detail yourkit will produce (I can review the logs on my desktop post run). I like it b/c it's lite and something we could permanently code into an app so we could run it in a production environment if we see issues (hopefully in the future, we won't as we will finally do some profiling before releasing code to production :? ).

JB
mathers

Post by mathers »

You dont need to run the GUI on the same machine than the tested application if net connecton is avaiable., so you can use the GUI outside the test environment.
joebob2442

Post by joebob2442 »

that's cool. I was planning on viewing the results post testing but this will be nice then to do it real time. Hmmm... for an eval license, could I do this (install 2 seperate copies of YourKit, one on my local machine for monitoring and one on my server where the java is running).

Aside from this, back to my original question, Which class do I need to supply to get all class information. Just my main one where everything spawns from or do I need to include every class I want to track? Or, is this controllable from the GUI?

JB