Compatibility of yourkit 3.2 with JDK 1.3

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
nirchattop

Compatibility of yourkit 3.2 with JDK 1.3

Post by nirchattop »

I am currently evaluating yourkit 3.2. I was trying to run my profiled application on jdk1.3.1_09 and came across following error:

YourKit Java Profiler 3.2 #451 cannot start: JVM does not support JVMPI_VERSION_1_1
unable to initialize JVM helper library yjpagent
Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Does your product support JDK 1.3.1_09?

If so, please let me know if I need to use any specific configuration or JVM or agent controller option to make it run.

Thanks.
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Hi nirchattop. Please see my reply to your question in the other thread you posted to the Features forum:

http://forums.yourkit.com/viewtopic.php?t=167
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

Hi nirchattop,

profiler should work with JDK 1.3.1. It shouldn't with JDK 1.2.x. Are you sure that you are using 1.3.1_09?

BTW, what is the output of "java -version"?
nirchattop

Post by nirchattop »

I am using Sun JDK and here is the output for java -version.

java version "1.3.1_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_09-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1_09-b03, mixed mode)

I would also like to point to some other problems that I am having in trying to run our profiled application with JDK 1.4 with the following profiler option for object allocation recording.
-Xrunyjpagent:tracing,alloc,port=10001,onexit=both,dir=C:/nctemp/serverprofilesnapshots

For some reason the server crashed right before starting. I work in a bank and currently our group is using a very large risk management system developed aorund weblogic (with Sun 1.3x JVM).

Thanks,
Nirmalya
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi,
I would also like to point to some other problems that I am having in trying to run our profiled application with JDK 1.4 with the following profiler option for object allocation recording.
-Xrunyjpagent:tracing,alloc,port=10001,onexit=both,dir=C:/nctemp/serverprofilesnapshot
Please let me note that if you need allocation recording only and do not make performance (CPU) profiling at the same moment, there's no need in 'tracing' parameter of '-Xrunyjpagent'. Removing it, you will decrease profiling overhead.
For some reason the server crashed right before starting.
Could you please provide more detail on how your server crashes. Are there any error messages e.g. in the console? Do you mean the message "YourKit Java Profiler 3.2 #451 cannot start: JVM does not support JVMPI_VERSION_1_1 " or you mean another "crash"?

Best regards,
Anton
nirchattop

Post by nirchattop »

I am sorry for the confusion. I think I mixed up two issues. Just to restate everything, I can start profiled application in Sun JDK 1.4 (ofcourse you are right that I had to take out the options for alloc and tracing etc.) and was able to produce CPU and memory snapshots by connecting and capturing from yourkit UI as well as some external process. So don't bother about the crash problem.

However, I would like to request you to help me out with running the profiled application in the JDK version I indicated.

The error I get is:

Profile parameters: -Xrunyjpagent:port=10001
YourKit Java Profiler 3.2 #451 cannot start: JVM does not support JVMPI_VERSION_1_1
unable to initialize JVM helper library yjpagent
Could not create the Java virtual machine.

My Sun JDK Version is: jdk1.3.1_09

The output from java -version is:

java version "1.3.1_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_09-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1_09-b03, mixed mode)

Thanks,
Nirmalya :(
Vladimir Kondratyev

Hi Nirmalya,

definitely something wrong with your Java installation. I've just check that profiler work perfectly even with JDK 1.3.0_x. Please try to reinstall Java VM (perhaps current installation lacks some DDLs).

java version "1.3.0_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0_05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.0_05, mixed mode)

Regards,
Vladimir
Vladimir Kondratyev

I've read an article http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/gui ... jvmpi.html

Do you use "-classic" JVM parameter? Please remove it and everything should be fine! :D