Fully featured low overhead profiler for Java EE and Java SE platforms.
Ultimate profiling and monitoring solution for Gradle, Maven, Ant, JUnit and TestNG.
Easy to use performance and memory profiler for .NET framework.

Incomplete stack trace

Moderators: Vladimir Kondratyev, Anton Katilin

Incomplete stack trace

Postby fxgiraldeau » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:52 pm

I'm using YourKit build-15088 to profile an Eclipse RCP running with OpenJDK 8 on Linux. The CPU tracing report shows that the time spent is inside java.lang.Thread.run(), but the stack trace is incomplete. The Callee List does not show the children of that method. I tried sampling instead of tracing and a similar result occurs.

I tried to change the CPU tracing settings by removing the walltime entries. I did that to avoid profiling Thread.sleep(). The result is the same. I tried to reduce adaptive_min_method_invocation_count and adaptive_max_average_method_time_ns, and the result is the same. For CPU sampling, I tried to reduce the sampling period (thus increasing the event frequency) and the same result occurs.

Is there a bug that prevent YourKit to get a proper stack trace?
fxgiraldeau

Re: Incomplete stack trace

Postby fxgiraldeau » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:11 pm

OK, the problem is not related to YourKit. By default, classes org.eclipse.* are filtered. In my case, the code is actually in that namespace. Therefore, the solution is to uncheck Eclipse classes from the filter in the menu Settings -> Filters...
fxgiraldeau

Return to Java Profiler