Fully featured low overhead profiler for Java EE and Java SE platforms.
Ultimate profiling and monitoring solution for Gradle, Maven, Ant, JUnit and TestNG.
Easy to use performance and memory profiler for .NET framework.

CPU Tracing - Extremely Slow

Moderators: Vladimir Kondratyev, Anton Katilin

CPU Tracing - Extremely Slow

Postby lalit.r.nagpal » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:00 am

My App home page (after I do a login ) just does not load after I turn the cpu-tracing profiling ON. I tried doing this via the Yourkit UI and also via the command line ( via yjp-controller-api-redist.jar ) . The Xmx and Xms of WebSphere were set to 2 gig to 4 gig. Stack telemetry was kept off. WAS debug is also off. CPU Sampling brings the app page quickly but when I go to tracing, it just goes on and on for 5 minutes and then finally the Application breaks possibly due to timeout. Another thing I can do is run the app on a different machine and run the profiler on a different machine. I have also tried the command line instead of the UI Client. Any more ideas for me to get this to work on a single machine. I am using a 64-bit OS with 64-bit Java and 64-bit WAS 8.0 on a 8 GB RAM machine. Yourkit version is 2015 build 15056.
lalit.r.nagpal

Re: CPU Tracing - Extremely Slow

Postby Anton Katilin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:21 pm

It's normal that CPU tracing overhead is bigger than CPU sampling overhead.

When using tracing, please ensure you use adaptive tracing on:
https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... ttings.jsp

Please also try the EAP version:
https://www.yourkit.com/eap/
It contains some improvements reducing CPU tracing overhead.

If you still experience the problem please send an example of performance snapshot with tracing as well as the profiler agent file <user home>/.yjp/log/<session name>-<pid>.log to support@yourkit.com . We may check if anything went wrong.
Anton Katilin

Return to Java Profiler