[EAP #514] Cosmetics: Running more than one instance of YJP

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
RangerRob

[EAP #514] Cosmetics: Running more than one instance of YJP

Post by RangerRob »

In IDEA 4.5 when you click on the "Launch YourKit Java Profile UI" option on my icons bar I would only expect it to ever open up one instance of YourKit unless I specifically said otherwise. Here's how I see the functionality should be:

1. User clicks on "Launch YourKit Java Profile UI" icon.
2. Background task checks to see if YouKit UI is already running.
3. If UI is already running it asks the user if they are meaning to load another instance (if not it will simply start YourKit UI as is does now).
4. If the user selects "No" then instead of loading a new instance of YourKit UI it will simply transfer focus to the existing running instance.

I think this would make the whole integration of YourKit more in-keeping with IDEA and more user friendly overall.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

Thank you for suggestion. It's exactly we want to implement in the next version. I see that almost all Java developers earlier or later solve task to make singleton Java application. And there are plenty of tricks how to determine that the application is already running (embedded RMI server, lock file, "taking" some file, use shared port, etc).

I wish to have such feature be a part of JDK :)
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

No problem. To be honest I'm also a little befuddled as to why singleton Java apps aren't already standard within the JRE, I guess it has to do with priorities etc but it's such a common user requirement it would make sense for it to form part of the core runtime.