Fully featured low overhead profiler for Java EE and Java SE platforms.
Ultimate profiling and monitoring solution for Gradle, Maven, Ant, JUnit and TestNG.
Easy to use performance and memory profiler for .NET framework.

Installation and usage

Moderators: Vladimir Kondratyev, Anton Katilin

Installation and usage

Postby MartinWalke » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:36 am

Hi,
I've just downloaded the latest Windows version to trial it. I installed according to instruction and added it as a plug-in to Eclipse (Luna). However, when it starts it wanted to find the config file in my D: drive @ D:\.yjp\ide2014.txt but it placed this file in my %USER_PROFILE%\.yjp folder (c:\users ...). Not sure why it was looking in my D: drive but a quick file copy sorted it out. Just to let you know. 8)

However, my real question is: can the profiler show its profile for longer than an hour? My app runs find until about 2 hrs into the program (it does a lot work over 30 threads) and then seems to hang up. However, the display only shows the last hour which is a little restrictive. Is there any way of winding the time back to the start (or whenever) :?:

TIA
Martin
MartinWalke

Re: Installation and usage

Postby Anton Katilin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:03 am

Hello Martin

I've just downloaded the latest Windows version to trial it. I installed according to instruction and added it as a plug-in to Eclipse (Luna). However, when it starts it wanted to find the config file in my D: drive @ D:\.yjp\ide2014.txt but it placed this file in my %USER_PROFILE%\.yjp folder (c:\users ...). Not sure why it was looking in my D: drive but a quick file copy sorted it out. Just to let you know. 8)

Both the profiler client and the profiler plugin in Eclipse are looking for <user home>\.yjp\ide2014.txt. If Eclipse uses a different location (D:\), it possibly has the user home Java property redefined, or runs under a different user.

Anyway, to avoid such or similar issues you can specify the environment variable YOURKIT_HOME to explicitly define the .yjp and the default snapshots directory location.

However, my real question is: can the profiler show its profile for longer than an hour? My app runs find until about 2 hrs into the program (it does a lot work over 30 threads) and then seems to hang up. However, the display only shows the last hour which is a little restrictive. Is there any way of winding the time back to the start (or whenever) :?:

Yes. Please use the startup option "telemetrylimit":
https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... ptions.jsp

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Postby MartinWalke » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi Anton,
Many thanks for the swift reply.
If Eclipse uses a different location (D:\), it possibly has the user home Java property redefined, or runs under a different user.

Yep - dead right. Most of my apps that don't need to be 'installed' e.g. Eclipse, JBoss etc. are loaded onto my D: drive so I'll add the env setting.

And I'll take a look at the telemetry info.

One final question which may be related to the env settings is: if I click on a line in the Stack trace I get a message that it "cannot detect running IDE ...." but the plug-in has been added to Eclipse and I used the Profile option in Eclipse to start my app

Kind regards
Martin.
MartinWalke

Postby Anton Katilin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Hello Martin

One final question which may be related to the env settings is: if I click on a line in the Stack trace I get a message that it "cannot detect running IDE ...." but the plug-in has been added to Eclipse and I used the Profile option in Eclipse to start my app

This is the same user home mismatch issue. IDE plugin stores a marker file in its "home", which the profiler UI cannot detect, thus deciding that the plugin is not active.
So, please set YOURKIT_HOME as I suggested. This will solve all these issues.

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Return to Java Profiler