yjp.exe doesn't start with Java 6 (jdk 1.6.0-ea) installed

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
rblasch

yjp.exe doesn't start with Java 6 (jdk 1.6.0-ea) installed

Post by rblasch »

This applies to version 3.2 and 4.0 build 504.

Starting yjp.exe yields a "YourKit Java Profiler 4.0 EAP cannot run with Java version 1.6.0-ea, it requires Java 1.4.2 or 5.0." startup message.

Running "javaw -jar yjp.jar" works fine.
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

As far as I know YourKit doesn't yet support Java 6. I've also tried both 3.2 and the 4.0 EAP on Java 6 for interests sake but I wasn't suprised when I found it didn't work as I didn't expect it to (thus why I didn't post it as a bug report).

Can I just ask what you are using Java 6 for? Is it meerly out of curiosity (like I was) or are you planning to use it on some kind of project for which you would require profiling?
rblasch

Post by rblasch »

I installed it just out of curiosity. Sometimes it's fun to live on the bleeding edge. :wink:

In my post I forgot to mention that I am not usually using Java 6. I usually run 1.5 (or 1.4), and that's what I want yjp to run with.

If I had to guess I'd say yjp.exe searches the JavaSoft registry part for the highest available JDK entry, which is 1.6 on my system. Unless, of course, I have got things terribly wrong. :wink:

Code: Select all

C:\>set JAVA_HOME
JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0"

C:\>C:\WINDOWS\system32\java -version
java version "1.5.0_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_01-b08)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_01-b08, mixed mode, sharing)
I'd probably uninstall Java 6, b/c a smooth yjp ride is more important for me.
rblasch

Post by rblasch »

FWIW, I was probably right. Just deleted the keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit\1.6
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit\1.6.0
from the registry, and yjp.exe starts just fine.

Would it be possible to fix yjp.exe?
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

We'll try address this issue in the next build.
rblasch

Post by rblasch »

Thanks a lot! :D
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

That's interesting actually. I should have paid more attention, I didn't even think of the registry!! :)

What are your impressions of 1.6 so far (just wondering)?? I'm currently not seeing much improvement over 1.5 though I'm sure as the releases get more polished it will improve.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Bugfix buid #506 is available at http://www.yourkit.com/eap/
Enjoy! ;)
rblasch

Post by rblasch »

Wow, that fix was fast!

Just to let you know: yjp now starts with yjp.exe, the installed Java 6 is used, though.

As for Java 6: I've used it very little, and there seems to have changed little up to now. Here's an interesting read about it. http://weblogs.java.net/blog/peterkessl ... the_f.html
Vladimir Kondratyev

Just to let you know: yjp now starts with yjp.exe, the installed Java 6 is used, though.
It's intended behavior. Launcher uses installed JVM with highest version number.
rblasch

Post by rblasch »

Works for me, thanks.

Keep up the good work! :D
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

I was just logging in to post exactly the same thing. Thanks Vladimir, it works perfectly on Java 6 EA now and I must say I'm also extremely impressed with the speed of this fix (especially since it is probably low priority in the grand scheme of things for YJP 4.0)!! :)
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

rblasch wrote:As for Java 6: I've used it very little, and there seems to have changed little up to now. Here's an interesting read about it.
Thanks rblasch, that was an interesting article and explains somewhat why so little significant progress appears to have been made so far (not a complaint at all, just an early observation). I would still think that many of these bugs being fixed in Mustang should also be fixed in the 1.5 minor releases through. The main issue against the takeup of 1.5 for me is the lack of Mac support for it, though I'm hopeful this will be resolved.