Opening zipped snapshots

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
plethora

Post by plethora »

However, the directory that contained the *zipped snapshot* (that I opened) is not added to the list of "snapshot directories".
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

The snapshot directories list defines where unpacked snapshots are searched.

Zip files with snapshots inside are not shown in the dialog's front list, so their directories are not added.

I'm afraid that if we include the zipped files into the scan list, this will increase the overhead. In particular, we'd have to open each zip file found in the directory list and start unpacking, in order to understand whether it contains snapshots.
plethora

Post by plethora »

I understand.

However, perhaps it's possible to only check the index of the zip file (using java.util.zip.*) and check if it contains a single file with some specific extension (.memory|.cpu|.bin)?
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

We'll try if we can do so with reasonable overhead.
If the overhead is significant, there can be a check box "Scan inside ZIPs", off by default.

Although I can't promise this will get high priority. I think opening of zipped snapshot already works good enough, and efforts spent in further polishing of this feature wouldn't give significant effect for the majority of users.
plethora

Post by plethora »

Anton, I agree with your comment. It's a minor thing.
Anton Katilin

Re: Opening zipped snapshots

Post by Anton Katilin »

[Update]

Open file dialog will show and allow to open .zip and .gz snapshots in the next version. This functionality will be available in the very first EAP build.