Fully featured low overhead profiler for Java EE and Java SE platforms.
Ultimate profiling and monitoring solution for Gradle, Maven, Ant, JUnit and TestNG.
Easy to use performance and memory profiler for .NET framework.

IntelliJ Profile button opens new window each time

Moderators: Vladimir Kondratyev, Anton Katilin

IntelliJ Profile button opens new window each time

Postby donw » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi,

I'm experiencing an annoying behaviour with the intellij -> Yourkit integration.

When I use the Profile button to start up my app with YourKit profiling, it starts a new instance of YourKit rather than attaching to the existing one. I end up with several MainExt windows with the traditional Java logo, rather than YourKit windows. This happens most of the time, but not all the time.

I don't know what the pattern is. YourKit still works fine in this generic window, so it's in no way a showstopper, it's just annoying, particularly since cmd-tabbing between things the app being profiled and the profiler have the same icon.

Env is:
* Mac OS X Yosemite (I think I never noticed this before Yosemite)
* Intellij IDEA 14.1.4 (I don't think I ever noticed this before 13)
* Tomcat 8 is the app server being started by the Intellij run configuration in question
* Yourkit Java Profiler 2015 build 15068. I had this with the build I was using too but I don't know what it was. I think an April build.

I wish I'd paid more attention and reported this the first time I saw it so I could be more confident in pointing the finger at IDEA/OS X versions. I haven't tested any other environments but I assume, given that it's pretty annoying, and I couldn't find any other reports of it, that it's particular to at least one of yosemite/osx.
donw

Re: IntelliJ Profile button opens new window each time

Postby donw » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:58 pm

I may have figured this out myself. I've just noticed that I didn't pull YourKit into Applications. Maybe that's the key factor?
donw

Postby Anton Katilin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:46 am

Hello donw

It's a bug. It will be fixed in the next build 15070.

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Postby Anton Katilin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Hello Don,

We've just released the build 15070 with the fix:
http://www.yourkit.com/download

Could you please confirm the problem is gone.

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Return to Java Profiler